The good people over in Google SEA decided to hold the first (I think) Google Analytics Master Class in KL last weekend. It was held in Hilton Hotel KL and the best part, it was FREE! All you had to do was register yourself and they will email you if you got the invites. I bet they didn’t expect the overwhelming response though.
The GAMC consists of a couple of speakers who gave short 10 minutes (or so) talks. Some were from Google, explaining the features in GA and other related tools. Others were from various businesses that utilizes GA in their business.
I tweeted about several things I learn at the event, here are some examples :
- Track statistic based on sessions – logged in/ not logged in users. How is their behaviour different
- Set up different segments to track different things based on certain conditions, and share these pre-configured segments with others via a simple link
- Send email alerts when certain conditions are met
- Useful for Multi Users : Add annotation to the graph to explain spikes (was the design changed? was there an economic downturn, etc)
- Useful for Advertisers : You can create custom variables to export specific data. Maybe impressions of a certain page where that ad in running
- Using Google Analytics, you can track the flow of a payment page to see where your buyers are leaving /stuck (are they confused? Is the design not user friendly?)
- Three important things :
- Watch out for high bounce rates
- Zoom in on Loyal Visitors
- Don’t ignore mobile users <—growing trend in SEA
- Post Click (landing page optimization) is as important as Pre-Click (SEO, SERP, etc). Former is free too!
- Use different variations of your site simultaneously and track both so that you can see which design produces the highest conversions. Only change important pages – Landing page, Buy page, etc
All in all, it was a very informative event. Met a lot of people and made some new friends. I think my colleague who went must have been surprised that I do know a lot of people. LOL!
You can subscribe to the Google Southeast Asia site for details on any events and tips and tricks. They have posted their slides for GAMC on the site. However, its all present in Slideshare which requires you to log in to download. So I downloaded it all here and zipped it up for you guys to download. All the files are in PDF format (I highly recommend FoxIt reader) and the Titles are listed below
Edit 28 Dec 2010 : Im having problems with my download plugin so the download links are missing. will edit this page once that’s fixed. You can still watch videos and download the slides from their site here – http://cse-sea.blogspot.com/search/label/google%20analytics%20master%20class .SOrry about that