“Malaysians, especially Muslims, must avoid being totally immersed in the internet culture, especially Facebook and Twitter, said Information Communication and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim.
He added that facilities like internet could not be accepted wholly because it was a form of business introduced by the West and “Malaysians were just users.”
Yes, all this coming from the Info Comm minister of Malaysia in a local newspaper The Star. Read the full article here.
As can be expected, the Msian Twitter-ers are not happy and came up with a hashtag #yorais that talks about how old, ancient and backward thinking he is.
And the best part, it made it in the current top trending topics in Twitter. Here’s a screenshot for proof. LOL! Malaysia & Twitter boleh?
Some sample #yorais tweets :
- #yorais is so ancient, when asked about ‘good ol’ days’, he replies, “BC or AD?”.
- Rais is so ancient that the word “past”,”history” and “sejarah” hasn’t existed. #yorais
- #yorais Rais is so ancient, he anyams his own clothes
- first rice plant after him. #yorais
- In the afterlife, you’ll identify Rais right away. He’s so old, he has no navel. #yorais
- Rais is so ancient he once asked Socrates, “Kenapa you ni suka tanya banyak soalan?” #yorais
Check out Twitter for more #yorais
Check out Spinzer’s post, it has a dynamic chart to show how fast the hashtag is rising.