P1 W1max ‘Wiggy’ USB Modem Preview
P1 has been the forefront of providing wireless internet access in Malaysia. They first came out with a wireless modem for the desktop – a (roughly) 5x5x2 inch black modem.
Noami from P1 (packet One) kindly invited a few bloggers for a preview of the new ‘Wiggy’ USB Modem – two days ahead of the official (invite only) media launch tomorrow (Thursday, 9 Apr) at Upstairs, The Loft.
It started around 8.10pm with firstly a short speech by the CEO of P1 W1Max, Mr Michael Lai, who said “if you have problems, don’t hesitate to whack us”. LOL! Then by the tech guy – sorry I forgot your name – who explained briefly about how they started and what they finally came up with.
So they showed us their USB Modem. Its a small (roughly) 2 inches by 4 inches modem with a “flip” USB that you can plug straight into your laptop. What I really like is no wires and the fact that the USB part is adjustable/moveable.
Photos & specs after the jump.
- Here are some technical specs:
- Standard Compliance : IEEE 802.16e 2005
- Operating Frequency : 2.3 GHz ~ 2.4 GHz
- Channel Bandwidth : 5MHz, 8.75 MHz, 10 MHz
- Modulation : Scalable OFDMA, QPSK, 16QAM, 64 QAM (DL Only)
- Interface : USB 2.0
- Maximum Throughput : DL – 30Mbps, UL – 7Mbps
- Output Power : Max 23 dBm, 200mW
- Power Supply : 5V through USB Interface
- Weight : 50g
- Operation Temperature : 0-50 Degrees Celcius
- Humidity : Up to 95% non-condensing
How’s the speed? Well, to tell you the truth, I don’t know. For some reason, I can’t connect (and a few others have the same problem) so I will have to call Naomi tomorrow and ask.
Price? We were not told the price. But it will be reveals soon after the launch :)
*Special* I overheard some people talking, and if I’m not mistaken, there will be a special promotion during the PC Fair so do make your way there to get the USB Modem :D
- Posts from other bloggers – There were some familiar faces in the crowd but I doubt people knew who I was. Lol!
- KitKat – http://www.kongtechnology.com/2009/04/08/p1-w1max-usb-modem/
- HeHeHunter – http://hehehunter.com/updates/watch-me-flash-my-wiggy/
- Kugan – http://www.malaysianwireless.com/2009/04/blogger-event-p1-wimax-usb-modem-wiggy.html
- Leona Lim – http://leonalim.com/blog/index.php/2009/04/08/a-sneak-preview-of-wiggy-p1-wimaxs-latest-usb-modem/
- QwertyJuan – http://qwertyjuan.posterous.com/p1-wiggy-usb-dongle-sneak-preview-7th-april-2
- Tekong – http://nazri.flavert.com/2009/04/10/getting-jiggy-with-wiggy/
- If you were at the blogger event and would like to hv a link back, kindly leave a comment :)
Edit [9 Apr] : Noami emailed everyone saying that we have to go back to P1 and change our Modems. I really applaud P1 W1Max for putting an importance on bloggers and forumers – even before official media coz I think its a brilliant way for promoting a product. But the fact that it doesn’t work is also kind of disappointing.