As i said in my previous post, my sister and i decided to make dinner for Father’s Day instead of the usual eating out in overly priced restaurants with their “Father’s Day promos” to entice you into spending more.
Anyway this is what we finally did
- Creamy Potato Gratin
- Garden Salad
- Canned soup (Campbell’s of course)
Rosemary Lamb ChopsIn the end we just had pre-marinated sirloin steaks from Tesco Sparkling JuiceCoke Ice cream for dessertWe were too full so didnt have dessert
So here’s the recipe for the yummy Creamy Potato Gratin which i adapted from Yahoo! Food.
1 large garlic clove, halved
1 kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
1 cup grated Chedder, set aside 1/4 cup.
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
Butter, for casserole dish
- Heat the oven to 160 degrees celcius and line a baking sheet with foil. Rub the inside of a casserole dish with the garlic, pressing hard so it releases its juices. When the garlic juice dries, generously butter the casserole dish.
- Layer the potatoes in the dish, seasoning them with salt and white pepper as you go. Be generous with the salt and pepper. Add a light sprinkling of cheese.
- Combine the cream and milk in a large measuring cup or a bowl. Pour the cream and milk over the potatoes. Put the dish in the oven on top of the baking pan you covered in foil (to catch any spills) and leave to bake for about 45 – 60 minutes. Poke a knife through to test if the potatoes are soft.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake for about 10 minutes till the cheese is melted and browned. Leave to sit for 10 mins and serve.
This is a very simple and plain recipe but tastes nice. Usually I make mashed potatoes but this is a much easier option. Enjoy